It is currently 16 Jul 2019, 04:38

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: The future of Tibia-Stats
PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 15:34 
co-admin/head data gatherer
Name: Dans cruf
World: Astera
Vocation: Sorcerer

It's been a bit over a year since I posted my open letter. Only in the past week have I heard from Kagonesti. I'm not sure what kind of picture I have portrayed of him, but I would like to be clear and state that Kago is a really good dude. Unfortunately he just isn't able to commit to the website the way he did 6-8 years ago. He doesn't use social media and I never had his personal email address. Up until the last couple of years I never needed it and when I finally did, there was no way for me to get a hold of him.

So I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that Kagonesti is no longer willing to work on the Tibia-Stats website. That means our experience statistics will remain broken and the front page will not receive any new content. The website was coded from scratch, so it's not a case of just handing it over to somebody else. The good news is that he is willing to continue paying the domain costs, despite the advertising revenue not being profitable. In that regard, Tibia-Stats will operate as per usual. From the very start, we were created solely for loot statistics. Everything we added in that time has been a bonus, such as our research articles, calculators and highscores. With the exception of the highscores, all of these features still work and have never stopped working. So whilst it sucks that we won't be able to fix the simple things, we need to consider the bigger picture that 95% of the features of our website still work. Now might be a good time to remind you that personal loot statistics are a thing and all you need to do is copy your loot log into your account page. Personal loot stats are one of my favourite things about the website, both for others to use and for my own usage.

As far as activity goes, there are multiple reasons for the low activity over the last year. I do not look for sympathy with this post, I merely wish to paint a clear picture. One thing I can pride myself in with tibia-stats amongst all the controversy of fansites in recent times is that I have always been honest and transparent. Hopefully you have assurance that my reasons are acceptable as to why activity has been low. Without going into too much personal detail, I am a full time student and a full time carer for a family member with an extremely rare, terminal illness. I have lived with this person for the last 18 months as a sole care provider in addition to being in my final years of study. This person deteriorated rapidly over the last few months and passed away in February. Again I do not wish for sympathy, but the combination of caring for somebody so extremely ill in addition to trying to not fail university has taken all of my time and effort. Many areas of my life have been neglected, besides tibia-stats. My staff members are great, but they have even less power over the website than I do so they aren't able to take initiative for content. It is my hope that Tibia-Stats can start producing content again in the near future. Unfortunately we will not be able to post it on the front page of tibia-stats.com, but any relevant information will be posted in our newsticker, our Facebook page and tibia.com

I want to thank everyone who has stayed patient, given us support and continued to use our website. The love that tibia-stats still gets, despite the flaws that have existed for so long are the reason I continue to stick with it and not pull the plug. As always, you can always get in touch with comments, suggestions and questions here or on Facebook. Hopefully I will have news to share in the next couple of weeks about our next bit of content.

Top Offline

Post subject: Re: The future of Tibia-Stats
PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 18:24 
team member
Name: Diaba dos Infernus
World: Rubera

Wow, it has been a year since the last letter. That's strange how time flies.

About the news about Kago~, it's understandable. You can't blame a man for carring on life...
In fact, during the past seven years so much must have changed into his life, like changed in mine, in yours and in Tibia itself, that it would be real a surprise if he had time or even will to acquire his responsabilities back AND compromise himself with new stuff like fixing everything at once and implementing some desired changes.

It's kinda sad to know things will stay as they are now, but at the same time it's also kinda comforting to know things will stay just as they are now, instead of getting worse.

But well, at least we heard he's alive and probably doing fine :D

Also, I am a little curious about the next couple weeks content.
Finally, if you need some help, just give me a "call"

Top Offline

PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 18:48 
Name: Aliwander
World: Secura
Vocation: Druid

Hello there,

As a longtime user of tibia-stats.com, I have to admit I am sad to learn that the site will not be getting any further updates. After your last year April's post, I was hoping that perhaps if Kagonesti was to come back we'd see some renewal.

But life is life and it shall always take precedence. And I have to agree with Diaba dos Infernus, at least things will stay as they are and not get any worse.

If I may wonder, coming out of the blue like this, have you or Kagonesti thought about perhaps bringing another coder onto the team? You mention that "The website was coded from scratch, so it's not a case of just handing it over to somebody else", is it based on personal feelings, like not willing to give away a personal cherished treasure, or something else?
Because I am pretty sure it is possible to find at least one savvy programmer, within the community, who'd be able and willing to repair, update and further extend the website.

Heck I would be glad to help if you'd guys want my help, even with hosting if needed. For a programmer, getting familiar with an unknown piece of code isn't a challenge, it's pretty much what we tend to do on a daily basis. (I know I come like this out of the blue, but I'd really hate to see this fansite die, now when English speaking sites are so few.)

Anyway, just a thought, feel free to just skip it over. Nonetheless if you ever want technical help, just send me an email or a PM.

Best of luck,
Aliwander

Top Offline

PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 20:00 

We're getting a few amount of offers from people willing to program for the website. It's hugely appreciated, but all I have to go off is what Kago has told me. That he thinks it would be difficult for anyone to take over and that he would rather just keep things as they are. I will of course mention the offers we are getting, but I don't expect his stance to change. Thank you for your offer, it is very appreciated.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 20:19 
Name: Lee kun

Hello Dans,

I was going to say pretty much the same Aliwander said. I really enjoy all the Tibian statistics and I would be glad to help. I can't say I would have the time to extend the website, but perhaps at least update a thing or two and try some bug fixes.

If the position changes regarding receiving help, maybe there's something I could do. :)

Top Offline

PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 23:34 

Sadly I'm not even able to add team members anymore. There's pretty much just three people left. I do wish I could accept the generosity of everyone, but sadly all of our hands are tied.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 25 May 2017, 13:09 
Name: Bes
World: Secura
Vocation: Paladin

Hi Dans cruf,

This doesn't seem like a very medium/long-term solution for the community.

I wonder if having the owner transfer the domain to you, and then having a new site built from scratch might be a better long-term plan.

I wish you success!

Top Offline

PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 06:19 
Name: Madcuzbad

I have always said that this website has a huge potential, would be pointless if Kago doesn't let the website to be handled by someone else

Top Offline

PostPosted: 28 May 2017, 10:51 
senior team member
Name: Nienna Telperien
World: Antica
Vocation: Paladin

My condolences for your loss Dans.

Indeed, most of us are inactive for personal reasons, I have little or no time for tibia due to work but I still upload loot logs now and then and for that feature like you said - would be great if site would keep on running.

~waves to all members~

Top Offline

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2017, 05:23 
senior team member
Name: Adivali

Thanks Dans for your communication and all the work you continue to put into this. Unfortunately I don't see us becoming more active anytime soon (yet another baby on the way!) but I'm glad the website will remain, even if development has stalled.

Top Offline