12 posts

It is currently 20 Sep 2019, 05:57

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: A Botanic Guide: How Rookgaard's Flora looks like in RL
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 22:58 
team member
Name: Diaba dos Infernus
World: Rubera

Some time ago, when I applied to Tibia-stats team, I was in the middle of my new Rookgaard research when my computer broken. In january, after months, I finally menaged to buy some new hardware pieces and just finished it couple of days ago. The final version is a lot bigger than I tought it would be, so I may be a good idea for you to divide the reading in pieces along two or three days.

Fala português?
Você pode encontrar a versão traduzida disponível na board Newbie Island do forum TibiaBr:
http://forums.tibiabr.com/showthread.php?491269-Guia-Bot%E2nico-para-Rookgaard-Como-seria-a-flora-da-Ilha-na-vida-real

Também disponível no Portal Tibia:
http://forum.portaltibia.com.br/topic/27874-guia-botanico-para-rookgaard-como-seria-a-flora-da-ilha-na-vida-real/

The beauty of your first sight of the game

People say that the first impression is the one that sticks in.
Being the first contact to the game Tibia, the Island of Rookgaard had to be redesigned to provide a smooth Tutorial experience on a small and calm village, while offering many dangers outside the safeness of his walls where the player can prove his abilities before chose a vocation and head to the Continent.

Rich on forested areas, this small Island got revamped on Summer 2008 to fit the nice and modern graphics CipSoft has been adding to the game. Although many players prefer to rush their level 8 and leave the place as soon as they can, Rookgaard has become a really beautiful place to live.

While experienced players did not notice or don’t even care, one of the most noticeable thing on Rook, as said, is the high number of plants and trees that can be found on the start of your new journey, along with a high population of forest-living animals such as snakes, wolves, deers and spiders.

As you all my already know, it’s not hard to find on any wiki-like Tibia Fansite some level of taxonomy of the living (sometimes not THAT living) creatures scattered around Tibia, but I can assure you there are only very poor plant classifications based on biomes like “swamp plants” or “desert plants” on these websites, or no classification at all, throwing them to a I-did-not-know-where-to-place-them section .

It’s a shame that all time and work spent revamping the newcomer’s area goes almost invisible trough the eyes of the players, so I came with the idea to make some kind of a guide to the plants spread along the surface of this little Island.

First of all, it is important to state that Tibia has a different angle of view and his very own particular graphic-style. This way, even existing objects and animals need to be adapted to this fictional universe and may be very different from its “real form” when seen ingame.
Second, Rookgaard was a map created on the early days of Tibia. In the very beginning, when there were no Penciljack, most of the plant sprites were designed from the observation of every-day-plants available around the town or country. Due to this, most of Rookgaard’s plants are typical from the northern hemisphere and people that live on the “New World” may have more information to absorb than players from Europe, for instance.

Finally, I’d like to say that my first idea with this search was present the more complete and precise information I could find about the species below, but this showed itself too much scientific (not to say boring for most people) and demanding for some level of previous botanical knowledge of the public. Due to this, I decide to rewrite the whole thing and focus on simple data and curiosities to make it smoother and easier to absorb. Please, also keep in mind that even trough I am trying to be the more precise that I can, I am no Biologist and had none to review my work, so some inconsistencies may occur. If you find any mistake, please contact me and I’ll fix it.

A Kingdom for a horse

Do you even know what plants are? At first sight, it may appear easy to define a plant. Most of people would classify living organisms in the old fashioned way: The animals (that moves and eat), and the plants (the others. That ones who do not move nor eat other organisms). Unfortunately, it’s not simple as that.
After all, there are not moving organisms that still are not plants. Moulds as well as mushrooms, belong to the Kingdom Fungi for instance.

In lato sensu, plants can be classified as living multi cellular organisms of the Kingdom Plantae that has the ability to obtain their energy from the sunlight via photosynthesis (although some of them have parasitic behavior) producing their own food.
The Kingdom Plantae includes flower producing plants, mosses, club mosses, ferns, seed producer plants and also some green alga.

Most of the species listed below are classified as Angiosperms. A Angiosperm plant is a seed producing organism that also produces flowers (as reproductive structure) and has endosperm (a tissue that surrounds the embryo and provides nutrition) within its seeds. You may know them as fruit plants.

Following the Yellow Brick Road

To make this article more intuitive, I will be following the path that the player trails while doing the Rookie Guard Questline. I must say I tryed couple of ways to make this in a organized way, but none of them was better than the road the game itself sugests you to trail.
Also, I will be ignoring the very beginning tutorial area due some stectic reasons

Welcome the Newcomer

Either passing the Tutorial or skipping it, you'll soon find yourself inside the Temple of Rookgaard. The place is rich on trees and bushes, that makes a great place for Rabbits and Deers to live.

The Center of the Universe

As soon as you spawns on the Temple, its possible to notice some trees surrounding it. The first specimen that most of players found on their new journey is a Poplar.

Poplar:
Growing from a dark brown trunk, its big and dense dark-green leaves give the tree the shape of a cotton-candy on a stick. Branches can not be seen on the Poplar Sprite.

"Poplar" is a term used to describe a group of plants from the genus populus that has a very large genetic diversity and one specie may have very large differences between its relatives.
Inside this genus, there is a group often called Cottonwood that fits better the sprites of Tibia. These trees can reach 45m depending on the specie.
Yet inside the cottonwood section, black poplars and its variations can be highlighted. Native to Europe, this specie has the ability to loose their leaves during certain seasons and reach 30m height.

True Lombardy poplar (populus nigra var. italica)

Heading straight north to where NPC Vascalir is located (he will be our guide by now), you will be facing the following:

Fir Tree:
For sure you already notice a cone-shaped tree when walking on your adventures. In tibia, its trunk can not be seen due to this dense dark-green foliage it has. Their leaves are very similar to the poplar sprite but horizontal instead of vertical. In adition, fir trees also come on a smaller version very similar to adult fir tree sprites.

Image Image

Firs are from a genus inside the family of the pine trees, and like pines, they do not produce flowers but cones as reproductive structure, (which make them a Conifer), so they are not angiosperm but gymnosperm. This tree has needle-like leaves and is a very good wooden source.
Every year, millions of fir trees are sold as Christmas Trees and even if you do not live on areas with this kind of culture or if you use fake plastic firs like in my Country, you surely did see this on a Christmas movie.
Believe it or not, some years ago Russian surgeons claimed they had encountered a 2cm fir tree growing inside one of the patient’s lungs they tough it was a tumor.
Rookgaard’s fir trees seem to be inspired on the European Silver Fir due to its commonness.

Silver Fir (Abies alba)

Blueberry bush:
One of the four bushes seen on Rookgaard, blueberries bushes are small and round shaped trees of dense green leaves. It has evident red-brown structure growing from the ground acting as woody stems. Also, it comes with several blue dots on it. Once the player right-clicks the bush, its blue dots reduces to three independent berries that can be eaten or even picked up, one of the rare cases where the player has the ability to pick up fruits from its respective plants.
There is a plantation on the Premium Side of the town but they can be found all over the Island.

Classified as cyanococcus, a section inside the genus vaccinium, this small blue fruits are relative to cranberries and the species from this genus prefers cold regions such as North America and Europe.
Another important thing about blueberries is that even through several species from other parts of the planet also produces similar fruits and has its name translated to “blueberry” (like the bilberries, a.k.a European blueberry - Vaccinium Myrtillus), the “real” blueberries are from species natives to North America, lately introduced into other regions due economical purposes.
European blueberries and American blueberries differ, mainly, by its bushes and intensity of dye and favor. While the European (bilberry) grows solitary fruits on called low shrubs with its branches lying on the ground (or just above), the blueberry grows in bunches on erect shrubs, what shows that the Tibian blueberry is the America-native cyanococcus.
In North America, the most cultivated specie is called Northern Highbush Blueberry.

Northern Highbush Blueberry (vaccinium corymbosum)

Willow:
It can be first noticed by its massive crown of elongated leaves. Its color changes from light green on its top to darker green while going down to simulate depth and quantity of leaves and has a woody-type stem with some branches that can be seen between its foliage.

Members of the genus salix, willows are deciduous trees (plants that loose their foliage at some point of the year. Often on colder or rainy seasons) that prefer cold and temperate regions.
Willows have remarkable roots due to its toughness and size. Its leaves are often very long but may be round or oval shaped and its branches and leaves usually reach an area greater than its height. Speaking of branches, many willows have the ability to grow from cuttings and are often planted as shade source or to act as a barrier to the wind.
Maybe the most remarkable specie from this genus is the weeping willow due to its look and tradition. This specie usually reaches up to 25m height and grows fast although it has a short life time up to 75 years.
Also, some believe that they were spread across the Europe trough the Silk-Road.

Weeping Willow (salix babylonica)

Plum Tree:
This one may be hard to see at first glance but if you look close to the walls, you find it.
Different from the other trees to-be listed, plum trees have a grayer trunk growing from the ground. Its leaves are green and some brown lines are visible on its very large crown, probably simulating branches. This is a very common tree in Rookgaard, found on any side of the island.

As you may have guessed, they are fruit trees that grow plums as its fruits. Member of the subgenus prunus in the genus also called prunus, Plums are relative to peaches and other stone fruits, being a fleshy fruit with very thin skin and a single large seed inside.
Real life plum trees are usually medium sized, reaching from 5 to 12m height and cover a very large area with its crown.
Due to its many species, plums are divided in 3 sections (Old word plums; new world plums and apricots) differing on number of flowers together and some fruit’s characteristics.
Only two species seems to have worldwide economical significance due to its high quality fruits: European Plum (that has its origins in Asia Minor) and Japanese Plum (from China).

Japanese Plum (prunus salicina)

After speaking to the NPC and volunteering to put an end on Kraknaknork's evil once and for all, Vascalir will start talking about reinforcing the defence of the village by reloading some catapults placed on the roofs and sends you to build some muscles by carrying heavy stones located down the cellar.

Straw:
Inside the cellar and on top of it yellow dried grass-like can be seen scattered on the flor.

Straw is the nothing more than the dry stem left behind after the removal of the grain (seeds) and the chaff (protective case of the seeds) of cereal plants like wheat or rice.
They are very versatile product used from animal feed, going trough crafts, constructions and even biofuel.
On Rookgaard, due to the plantation just to the west, it is not hard to assume they were made from dry wheat.

Wheath Straw

Wheat:
Just few steps to the West and you can find one of the plantations of wheat. Other locations include the northern exit, very close to the walls, deep inside a cavern to the Southeast and the premium side of the village.
In Tibia, wheat can be harvested using a scythe once it reaches fully grown stage, which happens every 24 real hours. The tool can be bought for 12gps on Obi's weapon shop.
Once the crop is done, you can take to the millstone and crush it to flour that is used, along with other ingredients, for baking cakes and bread.

Members of the genus triticum, this was one of the first cereal to be domesticated and was the basis for the emergence of citie-based societies thanks to the factors of beeing easily cultivated in large scale and the hability of bearing large periods of storage.
Nowdays they are still one of the most important cereals produced in the whole World and it is used mainly as staple-food. Also, several other uses includes animal feed and fermentation of alcholic beverage and biofuel.
The most cultivated specie is the common wheat, also called breadwheat.

Common Wheat (triticum aestivum)

After strengthen the village's defence and learn some basic fighting skills on the next mission, Vascalir now asks you to visit Lily by the southern part of the village. On the way to Lily's Shop, there are some new specimens to take a look at.

Moon Flowers:
This kind of flowers come in two forms: Single, that consists in one lonely flower than can picked up; and Trio, with three specimens together.
Moon Flowers are made of a yellowed round core and four green flower petals.
In botany, “moonflower” is a common term to several species that blooms at night. Most of them are fragrant flowers from the genus Ipomoea, also called Morning Glory, or from the genus mentzelia, also called Evening Stars.

I did not manage to find a plant that perfectly fits the sprite in the genus ipomea nor in the genus mentzelia. The following flower is commonly called Moon Vine and Moonflower.

Moon Vine (ipomoea alba)

Bush:
Similar to blueberry bushes, they are also small and round shaped, but without the edible blue fruits.

Altogether, bushes are smaller and lower shrubs. Shrubs, on the other hand, differ from a tree by its multiples stems growing right from the ground and by its shorter height in comparison to trees.
Bushes are of very common and appreciated usage on gardening.
As the Rookgaard’s bushes are too generic, basically any bush would fit the shot:

Remember: Smaller and Short shrubs (Georgeus Walkerus. Bushus)

Yellow Maple:
With brown woody stem growing to beautiful yellow leaves.
Yellow and Red Maples are abundant on the “new” Rookgaard and often used to give some color to the forest around the village with his shine and leaves fallen on the ground. Its just like they are made of pure gold.

Maples are Angiosperms of the genus acer. Most of the species are native to Asia, but also apearing in number on Europe, Africa and North America.
The maple is a common symbol of strength and has been chosen as the national tree of Canada and many other countries. Its also well know due to its commercial use of the Sugar Maple specie (acer saccharum) to produce the famous maple syrup, very popular on cold regions.
Famous for its dedacious caracteristic, most of the species changes its leaves color from red or green to gain yellowish/golden look before the leaves fall to the ground.
One of these is the Italian Maple. Native from southern and western Europe, they can be seen on Germany, Italy and Spain.

Italian Maple (acer opalus)

Red Maple:
This one was spread on the same revamp update as its previous relative.
Easy to see at distant due to its gaudy red leaves, Red Maples have brown woody stem and well defined branches reminding a giant slingshot.

A.k.a Soft Maple and Water Maple, this specie from the genus Acer is one of the most common trees in North America, showing itself a very adaptable tree. Red Maples are often recognized for its deep scarlet leaves in autumn even trough they have red leaves, seeds and flowers during other seasons of the year.
Red Maples are considered medium sized trees, often reaching 15m height. Due to its high characteristics variation, the species can go from 15 to almost 30m and exceptionally, past over 30m.

Red Maple (acer rubrum)

Meadow Star:
Found on the grass, meadow stars are big yellow colored flowers, easy to spot at any time. They also have a thin stem that seems to be delicate and both stem and leaves are green. Meadow Stars can be found around Tibia facing different directions.

First of all, its important to understand what is a meadow. A meadow is an often large area of open grassland, so they consist of a combination of native grass and a very large diversity of wild flowers that generally consists of vivid colors like yellow, purple, pink, white and blue.
I did not found any specie common known as Meadow Star, but it’s not like we cannot make any interpretation on its name. In the end it’s not hard to think about it as a flower highlighted within the many species that compound the meadow.

A Meadow

Once you arrive on Lily's Shop, you'll be asked to make a quick deliver to Hyacinth, the Hermit on the mountains to the East. Before we proceed on the questline, there are three more plants we can find.

Sack of Herbs:
Its name is self explanatory. This is your item to deliver.

People tend to call “Herbs” any plant used for medicine, perfume, flavoring or food.
In general, there are differences between medicinal and culinary herbs. In medicinal usage, leaves, roots, flowers and almost any part of the plant might be considered herb. Culinary refer as "herbs" the leafy-green part of the plant.
By the way to botany “herbs” are herbaceous plants. Herbaceous are plants that die at the end of the growing or the flowering seasons and then grow from the seed (parts of the plant survive under the soil) once more. they hardly are tall plants and its stem usually can be cut using only your nails (no woody stems).
On Rookgaard they are for medical purposes of breewing health potions.

Hyacinth’s on 21 Century

Indoor Plant:
Made of a tall green stem with large leaves growing, this plant comes on a pot. Locked away on Lily's personal room, another locations include above the Al dee's Shop, above Willie's Shop and inside the Hyacinth home-mountain.

Also called houseplant, basically any plant growing indoors such as residences and working places are indoor plants. They are commonly tropical or semi-tropical plants grown for decorative purposes.

Random indoor potted plant (Madagascar Jewel - Euphorbia leuconeura)

Water Lily:
This one is not a species you see every day. Before heading to Hyacinth’s place, turn South from Lily's and go straight until you reach the river. They are just by the bridge that links Rookgaard village and Tutorial area.
Both in Real Life's and in Tibia's Water Lilies are like a leaf pizza missing a slice, floating on the water. Sometimes their lily pads carry a solitary flower.

The term is used generically to describe aquatic plants which have lily pads.
Member of the family Nymphaeaceae, these flowering plants like tropical places and are rooted in soil even tough their leaves and flowers float on the surface.
In the genus Nymphaea there is a specie know as European White Waterlily (also called White Lotus), so they may look like this

European White Waterlily (Nymphaea Alba)

Orient Express

Time to advance on our quest. Going back to the center and heading north we'll soon be leaving the safety of the village.
Our goal is located to the Mountains on the East, so East we go. Following the path trough the Forest, several new species can be seen.

Sycamore:
It’s easy to notice the several lighter-green leaves growing from its main woody structure. Even the branches are visible if you look closer. A dense mass of darker leaves can be seen to simulate depth.

Cultivated since ancient times, sycamores are deep rooted tall fig trees that can reach 20m height.
Also, the Sycamore leaves are dark green above and lighter with prominent yellow veins below. They are native from the Africa continent.
Due to several references on the Holly Bible, the term "Sycamore" has become common to a large number of trees of similar leaves.

Sycamore Fig (ficus sycomorus)

Birch:
They are an unusual tree sprite in Rookgaard due to its trunk shape. It looks like there are three trees growing very close to each other, mixing their crown.
Birch stems seem to be made of wood although it has grey to white color like a stone and if you look closer, you may notice some graphics simulating branches. Also, they have poor foliage and in some points it is possible to see trough the crown.

Real Birches are broad leaved trees of the genus betula. Birches lose their leaves seasonally and are one of the first species that rapidly grow back after a catastrophic event damaging the ecosystem like hurricanes or forest fire.
Here is a very curious fact about corporal punishments and birches: There were a method consisted on hitting the victim on his bare buttocks or back using a bundle of twigs, without their leaves, and bounded together to act more or less like a multi-tailed whip. Sometimes, the rod was soaked, making it heavier and, consequently, hitting hard. “Birching”, as it was called, was a very common school and judicial punishment by the 19th century.
What seems to be a good example of common birch on Europe is the Silver Birch. This tree can reach between 15 and 25 meters and has a white colored bark (most external layer of the trunk) often with black marks mainly encountered on its base.

Siver Birch (betula pendula)

Pine:
In Tibia, they are shown as a tall trunk with just few branches and very poor green leaf coverage. Also, there is a different specie of pine isolated on top of a mountain to the East, called only “Pine”

Member of the genus pinus, Pines are evergreen (has green leaves in any of the four seasons of the year) and long living trees. One of the oldest living organisms is a pine more than 4500 years old called Methuselah.
Different from the most plants of this research, pines do not produce flowers but cones as reproduction structure, so they are from the Division Pinophyta (also know as conifer or coniferophyta), in other words, they are not Angiosperm.
Male cones produce pollen. In other hand, female cones (or seed cones) contain ovules that become seed when fertilized by male's pollen.
Pine trees usually reach between 15 to 45m tall but there are reports about much bigger pines. In 2011 a pinus ponderosa in Oregon’s Rogue River National Forest was measured having more than 81m height and achieving the title of the world’s tallest pine.
This variation of European Black Pine fits very well on Tibia’s Sprites.

Corsican Pine (pinus nigra subsp. laricio)

Now we are on Hyacinth’s mountain, we have to climb up, so let's just be glad he knows how to build stairs and proceed to next floor.

Rosebush:
At +1 Floor of Hyacinth’s Mountain its possible to find three different flowers: White, purple and yellow.
They are all the same plant after all. With a closer looking, one can notice that all flowers have the same shape and differ only by its facing directions and color. It is also noticeable they have all the same stem and leaf shapes.

Members of the genus rosa, rosebushes, or just roses, can either be erect shrubs or climbing plants, often having sharp structures called prickles. These structures are not thorns as many people believe. Thorns are modified branches or stems and prickles are derived from the epidermis having no vascular bundles inside. Thanks to this, prickles are easier to remove and don't damage the plant at all. Its like the difference between fingers and hair.
Known to have grown in ancient Babylon, Chinese and Greek gardens, ornamental roses are believe to be cultivated since 5000 years ago and are well known by its significant commercial and cultural value that includes perfumes, food, drink, medicine or even the cut flowers. Wild roses are even older. There are fossils dating from 35 million years ago!
Also, wild roses might be very different from its ornamental relatives. In most species, roses have five petals and, like on Hyacinth’s mountain, not th every-day rose shape.
Thanks to the hybridism creating a complex ancestry of the flowers, it seems there is no system of classification for ornamental roses but you might find they divided as Wild Roses (natural species), Old Garden Roses and Modern Garden Roses although the last two groups can be very imprecise.
Native from Europe, the Burnet Rose is one wild rose commonly grown in Gardens:

Burnet Rose (rosa pimpinellifolia)

Thorn Bush:
Our fourth bush is a living fence made of thick woody stem with huge thorns growing. Also, its stem seems to have another twisted plant on it.

"1300 Species of thorny trees and shrubs". That's what I thought I would have to look at when I found the genus acacia. Fortunately (or not) for me, this genus was splited some years ago on the five new genera: Vachellia and senegali for African species, acaciella and mariosousa for American species and acacia for Australian species.
Important to say that this break, moving the traditional African species to two new genera vachellia and senegalia and replacing acacia for Australian species, ignored the traditional rule. Due to this controversial decision, some biologists are still using the former genus acacia while the discuss goes on. So you might find both taxonomy terms in use.
Sweet Acacias or Needle Bushes are leguminous shrubs widely spread around the world thanks to the human activity. It can live from 20 to 50 years and, in most places, they are considered a serious weed.
It's uses varies from food with their leaves often compared to tamarind flavor, perfume forage and, believe or not, even reports of people using their seed to kill rabid dogs in Brazil were made.
Even if it's not the same bush we see on Hyacinth's, I found the picture very similar, mainly on its distribution of a pair needle-shaped thorns growing from the base of each leaf

Sweet Acacia (acacia smalli or vachellia farnesiana var. farnesiana)

On the next mission, Vascalir asks you to gather a sample of the Spider Queen web. On the way to her lair, there is a tree that might be of interest.

Beech:
In Tibia, they are trees of dense dark foliage growing from a dark-brown woody stem. Also, its shape is rounder that most of trees.

In real life, beeches are deciduous trees (lose their leaves seasonally) from the genus fagus. Native from temperate areas, they can be found over North America, Europe and Asia.
The Europe “common” Beech is also one of the most common trees you will see around the Old World since European Beech is often used as ornamental tree in Parks. Its wood is easy to work with, wich makes them very popular for manufacture. This tree grows higher than 25m, and in some cases it is capable of reaching 50m height. Beech forest are very dark and almost no light reaches the ground.

European Beech (fagus sylvatica)

Pear Tree:
Made of brown woody stem, with strong branches, pear trees do have a dense crown of leaves, good for hiding treasures, bags and holes behind.

In real life, the genus pyrus represent them. Pears are native to the Old World and do not reach very tall heights, being considered a medium-sized tree. Most of them suffer the fall of their leaves seasonally and however it sounds bizarre, not every pear fruit has the every-day pear-shape. Some species produces fruits very similar to Apples.
There is a specie know as European Pear (and variations) largely cultivated due to the economical importance of its fruits that I believe was the basis for the Tibia’s pear tree.

European Pear (pyrus communis)

Now we are heading back to report the mission, it's time to enter the Rookgaard's Academy. One of the most noticeable changes on the island was the revamp of this area transforming a small training area into a large and interesting Natural History study area with plants and animals natural to mainland.

Witches Cauldron:
I have a big passion with this one in particular. That was the reason I decided to create this article, so the start of everything. Very common on Tiquanda Jungle, this plant is just like a huge and colorful plant-cup.
It also can be seen on Fountain of Life in Pits of Inferno, which makes very ironical shot since there's a book on Port Hope Library that describes the plant as an eye-catcher and warns to do not drink the rainwater it gathers.

Very similar plant and probably source of the Tibian counterpart, the Carrion Plant is the flower with the biggest unbranched inflorescence (part composed by a stem-like structure where the flowers are formed) in the world, reaching up to 3m height.
But “why does this have such name?”, you might be asking. The answer is simple: It smells really bad. In fact, it smells like rotten flesh. It's like finding a rare putrid treasure in the Jungle.
In addition, Corpse Plants grow on a very restrict area of the rainforest of Sumatra, indonesia, and even inside that habitat their flower are not one you'll find every-day. Reports of flowering when cultivated are even rarer and may take a decade before the first blooming.
These made-in-hell giant plants are members of the genus amorphophallus along with another 200 tuberous (structures used to store nutrients) tropical and subtropical plants.

Corpse Plant (amorphophallus titanum)

Strange Hovering Plant:
Lab rat of some weird experiment, this plant is found hovering above a pool of green liquid, inside a small underground laboratory. It seems obvious that this plant likes to live on poisonous and acid environments and, according to the big book near it, it produces a sulphorous poison steam. Yet according to the same book, the mixture of this steam and Troll urine exploded upon shaking, destroying the wall.

Lets make it simples. Even if its concept is awesome, there no way a real counterpart exists, so I owe you this time.

Giant Dreadcoil:
Once you reach couple of coiling dark tentacles behind flaming metal bars, there is no mistake: It's them. Dreadcoils are plants natural do Zao's decaying flora and having its rare giant variation makes a really nice addition to Rookgaard Academy's collection.

I believe the basis for drawing this one were spiral structures found on Ferns.
Most Ferns have a called fiddlehead on it, expanding them to fronds( or just fern leaves). These fiddleheads, like the head of a violin, are just identical in shape to our Giant Dreadcoil. Add some dreadful fantasy elements and voilà.
Some places in Asia has a culinary usage of fern's fiddlehead.

Fiddlehead of a random Fern Plant

Big Fern:
Locked away on a jail far underground, big ferns are just what you are expecting them to be: Big and ferns. This kind of plant is commonly found around Ab'dendriel, Venore and Port Hope.

Ferns are a huge group of plants of the division Pteridophyta, with more than 12 000 species. They are vascular plants (“veins” conducing water and nutrients through the plant) and differ on its reproduction made by spores and not by flowering or seeding.
From deserts to high mountains, ferns are found growing on a large variety of habitats due to the large number of species inside this division.
Also, there are records of fossilized ferns dating from 360 millions years, although most of the actual species only appeared 145 millions ago.
Ferns are not of major importance, but you might see them used for food, decontaminate soil and mostly as ornamental plant.

Droping Spleenwort (asplenium flaccidum])

Carniphila:
This one is interesting. Voracious plant-like organisms, Carniphilas have the ability to freely move around. Not animal nor plant, this organism closed in Rookgaard's underground Zoo is one of Tiquanda's mistery.

As you have might guessed, Carniphilas are heavily based on carnivorous plants. Adapted to live in places of very poor soil, this kind of plant derives most of their nutrients from consuming small animals or protozoans, but still generates their energy from photosynthesis.
The are five different mechanisms a carnivorous plant may have, but thanks to pop culture, the most famous and spread is the snap trap, which utilizes rapid leaf movements to catch their pray when sensitive hairs are triggered.
Solo member of the genus dionaea, the North American specie Venus Flytrap is the most remarkable when talking on carnivorous plants. Hard to cultivate, venus flytraps have stems up to ten centimeters, white flowers in spring and traps that ressemble lips at the end of its leaves.
The carnivorous plant with the largest know trap is called Nepenthes Rajah, with a urn-like trap growing up to 40cm high and 20 cm wide, which can hold more than 2 liters of digestive fluid. Its one of the two only species that has been reported to have trapped small vertebrates and even small mammals such as rats, probably sick ones that drowns inside the plant trap. Its main diet is composed of ants and other small bugs.

Summit Rat (rattus baluensis) visiting nepenthes rajah

Wild Wild West

We are almost done. Two more missions to go and save the Island once and for all.
After visiting the underground Academy, “save” a rare book and destroy the tunnel Trolls used to set the Library on fire, Vascalir now asks you to adventure West of the Island, where the Orcs live and Wasps have their Nest.
Once on their nest (a.k.a wasp tower), the player have a chance to gather another item along with the desired wasp's poison.

Honey Flower:
They can be found almost on every store trough Tibia but sadly, they are really, really rare on Rookgaard. There are only few planted around the Island and this is the only obtainable. The honey flower can be gotten from a honey flower patch and consists in a yellow flower with green leaves, planted in a pot.

The term honey flower may describe any flower that holds considerable amounts of nectar. Particularly, there is an Australian flower of the genus lambert (also called Honeysuckle) that holds huge amounts of nectar. This flower is known as Mountain Devil due to its small horny follicles, and as Honey Flower.

Mountain Devil (lambertia formosa)

Twines:
Easily spotted on Wasp’s Nest wall, this twining plant is just climbing the stony structures of the nest. Sometimes they carry red blossoms growing along with them.

In botany, a twining plant is a vine (simple as that), a plant of climbing habits.
Very common as garden plants, they are most seen growing on fences, arbors, walls and even on another plant. Due to pop culture, I believe the Ivy is the most known specie of climbing plant.

Common Ivy (hedera helix)

Heaven Blossoms:
All you need to do is look for three red flowers together. Alternavely, they can be seen being carried by elves of the Continent. Some NPCs might be interested in getting some of them.

Figuratively, the term may be used to describe a state or season of flowers.
In botany, “Blossom” is commonly refereed to the flowers of the genus prunus, the stony fruit trees (plums, cherries, nectarines, peaches…), and can be found pink or white depending on the species. This is how blossoms may look in real life:

Peach Blossom (prunus persica)

Apple Blossom (malus domestica)

The End Has No End

Congratulations!
You are the Hero we all wish we could be.
You have made it trough the tunnel and then you grabbed that fire on the wall,
You jumped up above him and burned the rope to save us all.

But...
has this ended?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Last edited by Diaba dos Infernus on 02 Mar 2014, 19:25, edited 4 times in total.

Top Offline

Post subject: Re: A Botanic Guide: How Rookgaard's Flora looks like in RL
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 22:59 
team member

If you did the quest line without taking any detour, then most probably you do not have the needed level to leave the Island and choose a Vocation, which will force you to start exploring and see the world by yourself. On your Journey to reach level 8, you might find much more than the plants presented until now.

The Flora of Rookgaard Book

Formerly called “the fauna of rookgaard” by mistake, this book describes some species of plants found on the Island.
The book starts by the commonness of the rookiepines on Rookgaard. Pines can be seen almost everywhere:

Quote:
One of the native trees of this isle is the rookiepine.
This tough tree grows almost everywhere and can withstand the common storms in the harsh winter.

The book changes to another specie and goes on:

Quote:
Another tree you can find is the dwarfenoak. The smaller cousin of the tibian oak is a fast growing tree and so the most common wood supply on rookgaard as well as on the continent.
Only botanists can distiguish the dwarfen oak from the strange rookgaard bananatree.

Oaks members of the genus quercus. Trees of spirally arranged leaves, their nut fruits, called acorns, are heavy to be carried by the wind, so oaks are directly dependent of animals that use acorns as food. Squirrels hiding seeds for future use, literally plant hundred of oaks every year.
In addition, oak trees are source of a very strong and resistant wood. It is known that English Oaks were largely used on ships constructions from vikings until 19ht century. Nowdays, its wood is very appreciated for making barrels to maturate beverages like wine and whiskey, contributing to the color, taste and aroma of the product.
Oaks are important symbol on several mythologies such as norse, greek and celtic.

English Oak (quercus robur)

Although the book states that its the most common wood source on Rookgaard, only one exemplar of this tree is known to exist.

The book continues with the bananatree and its apparently symbiosis with white flowers:

Quote:
On rookgaard there is an oak-like plant which fruits resemble bananas in shape and taste. No one can make out the difference of the fruits. To all people without knowledge in botanology: the only hint to find a bananatree is the white blossom flower that often seems to grow in a kind of symbiosis with the cherry tree.

One thing that must be said is that even though the the book considers it oak-like and the game calls it banana palm, drawing the banana plant like a palm tree, banana plants are not palms. Bananas aren't even trees! What appears to be a trunk above the ground is several layers of leaf emerging from a corm (a underground storage organ)
Banana plants differ in height depending on the specie cultivated, usually going from 3 to 7 meters.

Banana plant stump: Not woody

Also there can be seen a mistake in the text of the book that was not fixed along with the former title, that calls bananaplants as cherry trees.

Keep on reading and you'll be informed of the dragon tongue plants:

Quote:
The dragon tongue plant is easily spotted by its deep red blossoms and rumoured to be an useful reagent in various alchemical potions.

Thats a strange one. Even though red heaven blossoms can be found easy in Rookgaard, no plant so far is called “dragon tongue”. In fact, it has been one of the mysteries of the Island for years!
The only assumption I can make about the existence of dragons tongue's blossoms on Rookgaard is that the red flowers growing from the twines in wasp's nest walls are suspicious. Although they might look like a heaven blossom, it is not written anywhere tha they are heaven blossoms. In fact, when looked, you see just “flowers”.
By the way, I managed to find that a plant commonly called wintergreen is also called dragon's tongue. Members of the genus chimaphila, this specie is a small herbaceous plant native to North America. On its dark green leaves a different colored zone of white to light-green veins in the middle, resembling tongue's median sulcus, can be seen.
Unlike to what the book says, dragon's tongue produces small white flowers.

Dragon's Tongue (chimaphila maculata)

Finally, the book rises the swamp plants theme:
The swamp plants appear in such large number and variety that we didn't have a chance for extensive classification.
Book's author is completely unknown

Since the book raises the subject but did not helps on swamp plants, it's a good timing to check them out.

Swamp Monsters

Lots of snakes and large number of pools of green water are the swamp of Rookgaard. Obviously, it’s an area rich on (guess what?) Swamp Plants! As expected, they are plants that grow on soft, muddy and/or wet soil or even on the water.
Geographically, the whole southern part of the Island’s western side is a swamp.
Historical Note: Before Christmas update 2008, every swamp plant on Tibia was called “Swamp Plant”.

Mud Whip:
It’s a whip like plant, full of large and green leaves along its stem. Found on or near swamps and water.

I believe this one was based on species of genus iva, commonly named Marsh Elder plants. A Marsh Elder may look like this on real life.

Seacoast Marsh Elder (Iva Imbricata)

Swamp Lilly:
This kind of plant is presented to us as base of leaves with 4 stems growing with some kind of closed white flowers buttons on its tops.

Swamp lilies do exist and the term can be used for the genus crinum, plants that have large showy flowers on leafless stems, and develop from bulbs. There is a specimen known as Swamp Lily, River Lily or even Mangrove Lily, so a real swamp lily should look like this:

Swamp Lily (crinum pedunculatum)

Swamp Reed:
This plant are presented on some kind of brown color and are like a bunch of tall grass with a sausage stuck on its top.

Reed is a common term to describe some members of the order Poales. They are tall grass-like plants living on flood places. The species that suits the Tibia’s swamp reed better are from the genus Typha, better know as cattail, one of the firsts to appear when an area has become wet.
A common Cattail can grow up to 3m

Common Cattail (typha latifolia)

Branch:
In Tibia, it’s very common to find some branches scattered on the floor looking like broken parts of dead trees. They can’t be picked up and, usually, they can’t be moved. The only exception can be seen on the task Colleting Wood on the Beginning Quest, where the players need to push them to Zirella’s cart.

In botany, branches are parts of woody plants. They can be members of almost everything that creates wood tissues.

Dry branches on a tree

Sludge Fern:
This plant have brown stems with lots of green leaves

Sludge may be defined as residual material left from wastewaters and swage treatment, easy to come across on polluted lakes and rivers
Unlike the tibia sludge fern that has more generic leaves, real ferns have very particular shapes of leaves so I could not find a fern that fits the sprite
By the way, there is a specie usually found on bogs, marshes and swamps and this is how this may look like:

Narrow Swamp Fern (dryopteris cristata)

Mangrove:
Along with witches cauldroun, it is one of the coolest plants I ever seen in Tibia. They can be seen as different kinds of tree growing inside the water having only their branches above the surface. Some of them even has leaves.

Image Image Image

In real life, the term "Mangrove" may have several uses:
    1- To refer to the saline sediment costal habitats, although the terms mangal, mangrove swamp or mangrove forest can be used);
    2- To refer to the mangrove plant family rhizophoraceae or even the mangrove trees of the genus rhizophora, also called true mangrove trees;
    3- Refers to nny tree in a mangrove area

Mangrove under and above water view

Fear of the Unknown

This swamp part has been a little difficult for me to classify. I live on a tropical coastal city and there aren’t much plants of this kind to compare around here. The fact that real swamp plants are very similar between themselves is also a problem.
There are several swamp plants that I could not find any trace of a real counterpart or even a genus to place it, so if you know anything about
Lady in the Fog, Mire Sprout, Dusk Catcher, Frog Leaf, Bog Finger's Plant and Moon Herb, feel free to post below so I can take a loot and add them.

A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boom

There are also some fruits and other edibles that either you can pick up from the tree or does not have a tree at all and are obtainable by other ways.

Apple:
Not everyone knows, but if you skip the Santiago's tutorial for newcomers, you will respawn the old fashoned way: Inside Rookgaard'd Temple with a red and shinny apple in your bag.

Members of the genus malus, apples are red pomaceous fruits (a false fruit which the flesh is derived not from the ovary, but from another adjacent tissue that encloses the ovules) natives to Central Asia.
The apple fruit grows on a small deciduous tree of less than 5m hight and white flowers blooms by the spring. In adition, apple seeds are know to be toxic, containing cyanide, but don't be scared: Ingesting apple seeds make no harm unless you eat large amounts of them.
Relative to roses (both from family rosaceae) but from a different genus, the domestic apple is one of the trees most used by humans and are a constant symbol on both Mythology and Religion around the world.

Common apple blooming tree (malus domestica)

Cherry:
It is possible to find cherries on the ground of a certain cavern under the village of Rookgaard. Alternatively, you may find some cherries being carried by certain creatures.
There are also pink Cherry Blossom Trees in Meluna Island, West of Fibula, and its rotten counterpart, the scary Screaming Blossom Tree in Zao.

Stony fruits of many plants from the genus prumus (the same of plum trees), the cherries used on commerce are mostly from the sweet cherry specie, although sour cherry are also significant for their use on culinary.
Native to Europe, sweet cherry trees are deciduous that grows up to 30m high and blooms early in spring. In some countries like New Zealand and Japan, the specie became naturalised, when non-native organisms spread and reproduces enough to keep the population.

sweet cherry (prunus avium)

Banana:
As far as it is know, there are only two exemplars of banana plants in Tibia: One on the East side of Rookgaard and one atop of a mountain on Rookgaard's premium area, reachable by climbing on boxes. Both exemplars are widely surrounded by white flowers as states the book.
By clicking on the Bananapalm, you will get a Banana. Someone on the village might be interested on having this exotic food.

This enlongated and curved fruits grows in clusters on several species from genus musa might differ in size, color and firmness according to the specie cultivated.
Natural from Tropical areas, bananas had large seeds on the wild.
The main species cultivated nowdays are musa acuminata, musa balbisiana (both considered ancestors of the modern banana) and musa x paradisiaca, a hybrid of the two previous “ancestral” species.
Also, bananas are naturally radioactive.

Large seeds wild banana

Carrot:
There are three ways to put your hands on some carrot: One of the, probably the most dangerous, involves defeating “magic wielding beasts using creature illusion”. Another way is pick up the single carrot on the floor of the cave were these creatures live.
For the last way you need double the luck: once for finding certain Boss and twice for finding carrots, an uncommon drop, on its loot.

Herbaceous plants of the genus daucus, domestic carrots are root vegetables native to Europe and southern Asia. The most common eaten part, called taproot, consists on a very large root growing downward from where other roots sprout laterally.
Besides the most common orange color, the taproot of carrots can be selectively bred to produce different colours such as purple, red, white and yellow.

Selectively bred carrots (daucus carota)

Yo-Ho-Ho and a bottle of rum!

Besides the fruits discussed above, there is still a chance of encountering couple of plant based drinks on the Island. After wall, a adventurer has to stop and refresh sometimes.

Tequila:
Even though it is impossible to find this drink, we can still find its basis on the Island. Two agaves, the tequila plant, are present on the premium side of the island.

Native to Mexico, southern USA and tropical America, agave is a genus of succulent plants (plants with thickened and fleshy parts to retain water) with short stems that make their leaves apparently grow from the root.
Some agaves are very appreciated as ornamental plants where each rosette (circular arrangement of leaves) flowers once and the die.
The tequila is produced by removing and baking the piña (core of the plant), then crushing it to extract agave juice. The juice is then stored to ferment, resulting in a low alcohol substance that is distilled two or three times and, after, either bottled and sold as Silver Tequila or pumped into wooden barrels to age, gaining a golden color.
A harvested piña usually weights from 40 to 90Kg.

Blue Agave (agave tequilana)

Wine:
At the north of the town, in front of Norma's Bar, there is a sign where Grapes are shown. Even an unexperienced traveller knows what this sign means but a first-time traveler might read the following message when using the look feature:

Quote:
Norma's Little Bar
No more business, only show business!

Alternatively, two wine caskets can be seen on the Island. One, behind Norma's balcony, is unreachable.

Image Image

Although most belongs to the same specie, grapes can differ a lot from each other by color or by method of consume. Its uses includes producing juices, vinegar, dry fruits and wine.
After selecting the fruits to be used, the berries are smashed (in most traditional wineries they are foot-trodden and let to naturally ferment). They then separate all the berry skins from the liquid to store the resulting young wine on barrels to maturate. In the end, the liquid can be filtered to a bright and clear product.
The maturation process can last anything from month to even decades. Wine, as well as apples are, is a very important symbol from mythologies and religions.
Members of the genus vitis, grapes are fruits that grows from deciduous woody wines in clusters of 15 to more than 100 berries. Most of grapes you see every-day are from the common grape vine specie, native to Europe.

European Grapevine (Vitis Vinifera)

Beer:
This one was introduced just recently, with the revamp. No beer caskets could be find before Norma start selling beer and even now, the only one is not reachable. You can buy a cup of beer on Norma's.

Image Image

Considered the oldest fermented beverage by most, the beer is an important cultural drink (not to mention one of the most commercialized) and in most countries it is associated to many social traditions. Even ancient Mesopotamian had a Goddess representing beer.
Beers are basically water, a fermented cereal (I'll be going for the classic Malt, but its not limited to it. In fact, some beers use additional starch source) and a flavoring element.
The brewing process starts with the process of obtaining malt. Commonly barley, its grains are induced to germinate and sprouting by soaking in the water sometimes by a couple of days. After the desired spouting, the grains are transferred to a room where it is air-dried during almost a week and then oven-dried.

One of the first cultivated cereal, barley are self-pollinating (they are hermaphrodite) grass plants members of the genus hordeum. Very similar to wheat, this plant separates its spikelets upon the maturity of the plant to spread its seeds. Yet, its spikelets comes in groups of three and are arranged alternate. Only the central spikelet is fertile and develops a grain.
In addition, there are two different arrangement of seeds inside its ears: Two-row seed barleys and its lower protein content/higher fermentable sugar are more desirable for some types of beer while six-row are preferable for other beer types, specially when used along with other cereals.
The difference between species of two and six-row are minimal, based on a single-gen mutation, which has made some modern classification threat them forms of the same specie.

Two and six-row barley (hordeum vulgare)

The brewing then goes trough milling malt, mixing with water, draining the “juice" and boiling/flavoring (step where the hops come in) before filtering and bottling.
Hops are female flowers of the plants from the genus humulus.
Relatives to the cannabis plants the main specie common hop is a herbaceous climbing-habit plant. Five varieties natives from Europe and western Asia to North America are important to beer industry. Different breeds give different degrees of bitterness and aroma to the product.

Hop (humulus lupulus)

Lemonade:
If you are under age or just don't feel like drinking today, and aren't going for a cup of milk, may this one become your alternative.
Another addition from the revamp, Norma's lemon juice is one of the most refreshing drinks you can fin on the Island.

Lemon trees are small evergreen (does not lose their leaves seasonally) that does not reaches more than 6m high. Members of genus citrus, lemon trees have sharp spiny shoots and produces continuously during any season of the year. In addition, it is known that lemons are hybrids of the sour orange and citron.
Also, lemons are not the same on every place in the world. On Brazil, several species of fruits are locally called lemons when they are sour limes with similar flavor and/or look. Persian-limes, caled "limão-taiti" (tahiti lemon) are commonly known to be one of the ingredients of the caipirinha drink.
Notable by its intense fragrance and sour flavor, both lemon peel, lemon pulp and (mainly) lemon juice are very appreciated ingredients on foods and drinks around the world.
Lemon juice is about 5% citric acid and saved countless sailors and pirates from scurvy disease. Back in the Age of Discovery, several ships used lemon and orange juice even to scrub the deck.

Lemon tree (citrus x limon)

Delicious and Moist

Moss:
Deep where low leveled players usually don't go, some moss can be found. Mosses location includes walls and stones in dark and humid caverns like wolf's den to the northeast and inside Kendram Benson's grave.

Image Image

It may not look like, but botanically mosses are non-woody plants, not fungus.
With only few centimeters tall, they absorb water and nutrients by its leaves and does not have roots (they are non-vascular). In addition, mosses reproduce using spores, so they don't produce flowers nor seeds.
The moss division splits into eight classes: Six of them have only one or two genera bearing only few species (some of them fossils), one with 23 genera and the last one, called bryopsida, which bears around 95% of the species.
Mosses habitats are mainly shade and require high level of moisture. Although areas like forests, streams and bogs are the most common, some species adaptation has driven them very far from home to live on sunny and seasonally dry areas. Some species are adapted to live even in urban conditions.
Mosses are often found growing on or under stones and trees (non-parasitic relationship), inside cracks and drains. They are also cultivated on gardens and green roofs/walls.

covered in moss

If nautical nonsense be something you wish, then drop on the deck and flop like a fish

Kelp:
With the revamp of the Academy, Rookgaard earned its very own aquarium to serve as a lair to a blood crab and other minor underwater living creatures. There are some kelps inside.

Although they look like more plantish than the previously analyzed moss, kelps are not plants. Kelps are large brown algae from the Kingdom chromalveolata.
The body of the algae consists on a flat leaf-like blade that originates from the stripes, stem-like structures. Kelps are anchored to the ocean floor by root-like structures called holdfast.
Kelps are well know for their high growth-rate. Giant kelps, for instance, are able to grow more than half-meter a day. Member from the genus macrocystis, this alga has the fastest growth of any organism on earth.
Spread on cooler ocean water of north and south America, south Africa and Australia, these growing machines can reach 50m long (!) and create truly underwater forests providing both protection and large amount of food for many marine creatures.

Giant Kelp (macrocystis pyrifera)

1-UP

Another very common organisms are mushrooms. There are smaller species easy found by the surface and huge species on a specific cavern accessed while on the Rookie Guard Questline. In addition, two edible species are found in the same Rookie Guard questline by opening reward chests and boxes, or growing from the ground.
As said in the beginning of this article, mushrooms belong to the Kingdom Fungi and despite most of people think of them as a plant (like kelps), they differ from plants by their cell-walls not having cellulose but chitin.

Image Image Image Image Image
Image ImageImage Image

Connecting the dots

If you been reading till this part you might have noticed that some NPCs of Rookgaard are named after flowers:

Lily:
Often desired as ornamental plants thanks to its fragrance and vivid big flowers color that may include yellow, orange, red, purple, pink and white, lilies are non-woody plants of the genus lilium.
Lilies are able to grow between 0,5 and 1,8m and its flower forms may vary between trumpet-shaped, bowl-shaped, flat and recurved depending on the specie cultivated.

Madona Lily (lilium candidum)

Hyacinth:
With only three species, hyacinths are bulbous flowering plants, members of genus hyacinthus.
In geek mythology Hyacinth was a beautiful youth admired by both Gods Apollo and Zephyr. When playing with Apollo, the young died struck by a discus thrown by the God and blew by Zephyrus to injure her, jealous that the young preferred Apollo. Apollo did not let hades stay with the youth and made a flower from his blood spilled.
Common hyacinths are cultivated by its strong fragrance. Its flower stem reaches 30 cm and produces violet flowers that may vary to purple and pink as well on number of flowers depending on the cultivar breed.

Common Hyacinth (hyacinthus orientalis)

Did you find where I was Hiding?

This took longer than I thought it would take when started to sketch this study, but I hope you had at least a small part of the fun I had writing the guide. Even after more than 30 pages of text and easter eggs, believe it or not there are still plants to be found on Rookgaard.
Several minor flowers, plant-based furniture and ornaments are spread around the island. Flowery ornaments such as moonlight flower wreath, flowery garland, leaf wreath, potted flowers and many others are most desired by humans.
In other hands, wilder races commonly uses vines, leaves, bamboo and wood in their furniture. Hand-crafted fences, trunks, baskets, shelfs, tables and many more aren't hard to find on specific areas of the island.

Bing out your dead! Bring out your dead!

Several old and/or dead trees can be found on Rookgaad since the revamp occurred. Aside being a dead piece of junk, several dead trees can be recognised as Birches, sycamores and plum trees. A very specific characteristic of the dead trees near the Orc Fortress is the existence of some hanged skulls. Even a mammoth skull can be seenm which makes me wonder if Rookgaard been former part of the nordic archipelago.

...But this is theory to be made on another article.

Can you find and recognize every single deadtree?

If you liked this article, you might also like my other unusual researches:

Browse Field: Find what is hidden on Rookgaard:
http://tibia-stats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=287

Small Research about Magic Level Advancement of no vocation Characters:
http://tibia-stats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=278

Last edited by Diaba dos Infernus on 02 Mar 2014, 19:29, edited 2 times in total.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 23:18 
team member

References:
  On tibiawiki.com.br and tibia.wikia.com:
    Rookgaard page
    The Rookie Guard Quest page

On tibialibrary.org:
    Wondrous Plant Life - Jungle edition Vol.4
    The flora of rookgaard

On en.wikipedia.org and pt.wikipedia.org:
    <genus> article
    List of < genus> species article and all its links
    <specie> article
    Also used some of the related article's references to minimize mistakes.

Sprites are directly linked to its tibiawiki.com.br pages
    Plant images are under commons license of use.
    You might find additional image information searching their plant species at https://commons.wikimedia.org.

Aditionally:
[spoiler]
http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=5426535
http://www.africanbulbs.com/page13.html
http://portal.ncdenr.org/image/image_gallery?uuid=10df75cd-bf73-4211-a34f-0dde9630e2d3&groupId=38319&t=1311706452305
http://kellydnorris.com/2011/12/the-plantsmans-advent-calendar-day-23-crinum-menehune-purple-dream/
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/bulbs-summer/crinum.html
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/hardyferns/common_name.html
http://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/ferns/dryopteris-cristata/
http://www.pondplants.com/aisle33.html
http://www.aquascapesunlimited.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.main&alphaChange=1&alphaKey=ALL&whichName=genus&showIntro=0&typeID=2
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bog+plant
http://www.mdvaden.com/pine_tallest.shtml
http://www.ehow.com/list_7677527_willow-tree-characteristics.html
http://www.ask.com/explore/defining-characteristics-willow
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/5152953/Surgeons-find-fir-tree-growing-inside-patients-lung.html
http://www.gardenguides.com/119052-common-meadow-flowers.html
http://www.hgtvgardens.com/flowers-and-plants/european-beech-fagus-sylvatica-riversii
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/maple-trees-maple-tree-varieties.html
http://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/Botanic/NewsItem.aspx?p=27&ix=110&pid=2820&prcid=4&ppid=2820
http://www.adenbrook.com/hay-straw/straw/wheat-straw-big-bales-ff-close/

[/spoiler]

I re-uploaded the images to my personal account for an easy management and to prevent broken links
    The article was splited in two due the 60k characters limit per post

Top Offline

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 17:04 
head researcher
Name: Gorak
World: Refugia
Vocation: Paladin

Wow that was quite a guide! I liked your picture of a Bush!

Top Offline

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 18:48 
co-admin/head data gatherer
Name: Dans cruf
World: Astera
Vocation: Sorcerer

Pretty interesting article. Would you like me to advertise it?

Top Offline

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2014, 05:17 
team member

if you feel like it is good enough, an advertisement would be great.
I also have the pt-br version ( that I published on tibiabr's Rookgaard Board) if necessary

Top Offline

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2014, 06:37 

It's something very different and very unique which you clearly put a lot of work into, I see no reason not to advertise it :). You can link the portugese version in brackets at the top of one of your posts.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2014, 17:36 
team member

It just keeps saying I "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [url]" when I try to link to http://forums.tibiabr.com/showthread.php?491269-Guia-Bot%E2nico-para-Rookgaard-Como-seria-a-flora-da-Ilha-na-vida-real

Also, I could not menage to make the TS code to work properly and link my other two researches posted on this forum.

I am doing something wrong?

Edited: Tested again and it seems disabled to any link ([url] is OFF). Is there any way to activate it for regular users?

Top Offline

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2014, 17:57 

It's off entirely for everybody, but given the lack of activity on the forum it's probably not really necessary anymore. I'll give the admin a talk and see what he thinks, but for now you can only put the text of the link for people to copy and paste.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2014, 19:27 
team member

I'll do it for the ad. Thanks buddy

Top Offline