It is currently 25 May 2017, 05:01

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: An open letter about Tibia-Stats
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2016, 14:22 
co-admin/head data gatherer
Name: Dans cruf
World: Astera
Vocation: Sorcerer

Hello. First of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to visit our website and our forum. Without the people who engage with our website and use our features, we wouldn't exist.

A lot of you have approached me about why the website is not updated (new servers) or why some features no longer work (experience stats). I've answered every question directly given to me, but many more of you have not asked or seen my reply. So I figure the best course of action is to just give all the details in one place for everyone to see.

So who am I? I'm the admin of tibia-stats, but I am not the first. Before me was Kagonesti who is also the owner of the website. Due to very limited time, Kago asked me to take over for him and provided me tools to perform the tasks required of my position. Whenever a problem would occur, I would go to him and when he had time he would fix it. This worked fine for several years. However, his time for the website continued to shrink and it got to a point that I would be waiting months for him to fix things for me. I can only do so much with the tools in front of me. I am not a coder and even if i was, I don't have access to the website code.

So why do tibia.com statistics no longer work? Websites such as ours use certain tools to access data provided by cipsoft. It works automatically and is a simple process. However, a couple of years ago cip changed how the data was given. To simplify it, let's imagine that 1+1 = 2. Our website was 1 and tibia.com was also 1. This produced our statistics which is 2. However, cip changed from 1 to A. 1+A does not equal 2. Because of this clash of code, we can no longer gather statistics. It's an incredibly simple thing to fix, but Kago is not here to fix it for me. He also is not here to add the new servers or remove the merged servers.

This is also why the front page has not been updated in so long. I can not modify the contents of that page. This is why we have not held as many fun contests as we used to in the past. Many years ago, we held a riddle contest. Kago is a math genius and created the riddles all by himself (which meant googling the answer was impossible). Every riddle would be harder than the last and each correctly solved riddle would grant you points. The more points you had, the more chances you would have to win the grand prize. This is an example of the sort of contests we had planned, but it is impossible to do through a forum. This leaves me very limited in the types of contests I can produce by myself.

So where is Kagonesti? I don't know. I know he's alive, I see activity from him through social media avenues (albeit, very rarely). The blunt of it is that he has not responded to my messages and we have not spoken since July 2014 - Almost two years. My hands are literally tied in this situation. It is as frustrating to me as it is to all of you. This website now has my name attached to it and for all the work I've put in over the last 6 years, the current iteration is what I have to show for my work. I want to be as proud of the website as I was at its peak. Until Kagonesti shows up though, I can't do a thing except continue to work on the features that still exist.

One thing to keep in mind is that the tibia.com statistics were never the main focus of our website. Our website was created solely with loot statistics in mind and that is still our specialty.I do not post tibia.com newstickers because quite bluntly, anybody who speaks English will be going to tibia.com for those, not our website. Foreign language fansites with newsticker are great for those with limited English skills. As Tibia-Stats currently has no news to mention, the newstickers are not updated.

However, our website is far from useless. We still have the most comprehensive database of loot statistics of any website as well as the ability to create your own personal loot statistics through our count tool function. We still have research articles that are relevant to this day in addition to our calculators. Simply put, the website still does what it was made to do.

It is my desire to have all of the problems fixed and for all of our plans to go ahead, but until I hear from Kagonesti then I am powerless to do anything. I thank everyone again who has supported us and who continues to support us.

Top Offline

Post subject: Re: An open letter about Tibia-Stats
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2016, 18:22 
team member
Name: Razzdar

Nice update post there Dans, hope you're well. :D

Razzdar

Top Offline

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2016, 01:42 
team member
Name: Diaba dos Infernus
World: Rubera

It was very nice explanation of what has been going on the last couple months and I can only imagine how much frustrating it is to you after all this years dedicated to the website. That's a really tough situation you have in hands, specially when it's your name that is highlighted from the project.

Although your text explained very clear what's going on on our side and what's our real focus when it comes to statistics, I feel like you could have also explained the situation regarding the Supported Fansite Label and why we do still have it even after all the problems the website has been passing through.

From time to time someone posts on forums.tibia.com to understand what's going on to the website and, in such situations, this subject rises like every single time. Maybe it's just me, but It may be worth to mention if Cipsoft is aware of the problems and also its position about this issue.

Finally, even though your hands are kinda tied and my time dedicated to tibia has been not the same, you can still count on me.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2016, 16:02 

Well firstly, we are promoted which is a step above supported. Fansites attain promoted status if they offer something unique and which is kept up to date (amongst other things). We were promoted because of our loot statistics, our account function which allows players to create their own loot statistics and because of our research articles and calculators. Whilst we have not had new calculators or articles in some time, they are still used and relevant to this day. Our loot statistics were always our main appeal and they still are to this day. That is why we were promoted and that is why we remain promoted.

It should be added that things like rankings were added much later into our websites life span, and only on the request of visitors. It was a bonus feature. So whilst newer players won't be aware of that and may see it as us being lazy or not up to date, our regular visitors in addition to Cipsoft are aware of everything that is going on and CM Rejana in particular is aware of the situation with me and Kagonesti. I also made a link to this thread on the internal boards.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2016, 21:08 
Name: Ely Blademaster
Vocation: Druid

Thanks for the update! :3
I will share this news with the people who told me that it wasn't working when I suggested to check out the fansite. Hopefully you hear from Kagonesti sometime soon and everything works out.

-Ely

Top Offline

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2016, 22:04 

Thank you

Top Offline

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2016, 03:46 
Name: Madcuzbad

Dont let this website die, I also dont understand why the activity in forums is so low

Top Offline

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2016, 13:08 

The website won't die as long as the website owner continues to pay for it. The forum activity is low because tibia-stats isn't really the type of website to have a community. When we made the website, it originally didn't have a forum. We made it basically as a side project, everything was built from scratch. We see the forum as a bonus and therefore we're okay with low activity.

Top Offline