|Shielding research [article discussion]
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||Kagonesti [ 15 May 2011, 13:23 ]|
|Post subject:||Shielding research [article discussion]|
Tibia-Stats would like to invite you to comment on the research article: "Shielding research". Feel free to give feedback on it and share your opinion about it with other players here.
|Author:||tamsulosin [ 13 Jul 2014, 18:21 ]|
|Post subject:||Re: Shielding research [article discussion]|
Please see my post on the armor research thread for my introduction. Here I would like to discuss a few issues with the shielding research.
Unfortunately most of the article discusses the application of the results and the damage calculator, but does not deal with the methodology to obtain the data and therefore the accuracy of the formula.
There is even more potential for bias in this study (compared to armor study):
1. damage source: high damage vs low damage - what is the relation?
2. shielding skill: high skill vs low skill - what is the relation?
3. armor value, character level - do these affect damage reduction? How do we know?
4. mechanism? Does shielding reduce every damage taken or simply reduce the total by completely nullifying a proportion of hits (puff)?
5. defensive/balanced/offensive stance - what is the relation between this and damage reduction?
Most of the shielding article talks about how a shield will reduce damage taken. Yes, in certain circumstances.
For example, if I am level 20 paladin hunting rotworms and let's say I block 50% of all the rotworm hits then of course, having a shield would reduce my damage taken compared to if I was hunting with a bow and 0 shield. But beyond those 50% "blocked" hits do I get further damage reduction (i.e. like armor does) or not?
Unfortunately there are too many questions unanswered and some of the would greatly affect the accuracy of the predictions made by the calculator. Others would be simply interesting to know the evidenced answers to.
I hope you could clarify some of these issues and I look forward to your response.
A curious traveller
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]|
|Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group