It is currently 20 Sep 2019, 05:47

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Distance fighting research [article discussion]
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 09:42 
Name: Paladinos Massimios
World: Valoria
Vocation: Paladin

Heya,
I'm a bit curious about the distance damage calculator. Today when just compairing few bows and crossbows I came up with the result that in long run when usung regular ammunition (not for example infernal bolts but like prismatic bolts/crystalline arrows) mycological bow would be able to outhit even thorn spitter on average damage. Wouldn't that mean that its more economical to use and even give me higher dmg on long run? Then again if I'm using the bow, I'm losing the possibility of using infernal bolts for some special occasions but dont know if its even that big of a drawback, considering that crystalline arrows with mycological bow still deal great deal of dmg. To be honest almost the same as thorn spitter with infernal bolts. And I'm not using infernal bolts THAT often, only for quests usually. But then again I would gain the chance of using elemental ammunition (which I never do tbh but I would have the chance to use it xd)
So I'm just wondering if its actually worth it to change from thorn spitter (or even royal crossbow) to mycological bow.

Oh and almost forgot! If I'm using arrows, I'm winning 300 capacity on backpack of ammunition+the capacity bonus from the distance weapon since xbows weight ton more than bows.

Few test runs with the calculator with my pallys specs
Mycological bow with crystalline arrows:
1 /99 /60 /775 /414 /591.17 /20.7
Thorn spitter with prismatic bolts:
1 /91 /60 /837 /409 /480.69 /20.4
Thorn spitter with infernal bolts:
1 /92 /60 /899 /442 /490.67 /17.7

Ps: that calculator is correct, ait?

Top Offline

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 14:50 
head researcher
Name: Gorak
World: Refugia

I use mycological bow and crystalline arrows all the time even though I have thornspitter. The only time that I use thornspitter is when I am using infernal bolts. Of course the calculator is based upon my calculations, but I think your conclusion is correct.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 01:32 
Name: Larax

As RP,I really suggest you to use mycological bow+Crystalline arrows. Myco bow have a really high % rate (99% as un can see on gorak's calculator) and this makes this bow a really usefull weapon for palladins nowadays. I've been using it since 3 months ago and its really worth! (and cheap! :D)

Top Offline

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 12:27 
Name: Bes
World: Secura

Hello Gorak,

I really appreciate your articles! I would like to question one part of this one though...

How do we know for certain that crystalline arrows are 100% accurate with a warsinger, as opposed to onyx arrows at 99% with the same weapon?

Regards,

Bes

Top Offline

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 04:49 
head researcher

We do not know for certain, but I spent a lot of time shooting these arrows to determine their hit rate. Just for example, I tested over 10,000 assassin stars to determine their hit rates and breakage rates at different square meters from the target.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 05:40 
Name: Bes
World: Secura

Hello Gorak,

Lately I've been considering using shiver arrows, or any elemental arrow for that matter (depending on the monster being hunted).

However, given the increase in damage of crystalline arrows - is it even worth it to use the elemental arrows now?

Would you be keen to update the 'Distance fighting research' article you wrote several years back? It would be excellent to see what you think about when a certain weapons / ammunition should be used now.

Regards,

Bes

Top Offline

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 03:52 
head researcher

Hi Bes,

Most of these things can be calculated by comparing the different kinds of ammo in the calculator. To be honest, lately I only use crystalline arrows. CIP did implement envenomed arrows that deal pretty good damage and there was talk about implementing other elements in the future (once they saw how envenomed worked out). I have used envenomed arrows on deeplings since it is quite a bit better for cost efficiency and still hits pretty hard.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2014, 08:59 
Name: Argludani Dara

Can someone tell me where can find the damage/gp and damage/oz table?

Top Offline

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2015, 02:31 
head researcher

Argludani Dara wrote:
Can someone tell me where can find the damage/gp and damage/oz table?

Not sure what you mean by a table? It is listed every time you enter stuff into the calculator. Some items, like infernal bolts, have been given a price of 25gp even though you cannot buy them from a shop so you should take this into account.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 16:06 
Name: Orkara

did anyone of you researchers check out the breaking chance of glooth spears?

I tested some and it seems to change alot from 2-3 hits to 8 sometimes bit

i wonder because when i can buy them for 5-10 gp sometimes on market since no one wants them they come in handy as cheap ammunition for short hunts or blocking for friends or such since i must not realy care about the cap.

Top Offline