Forum Statistics:

8 posts

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 01:33

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: How about a research that explains the tibia speed?
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 21:42 
Name: Seven Madlife
World: Malvera
Vocation: Paladin

Yesterday i was thinking about tibia speed boosts and most people believes there are a speed boost in some levels. Its not a linear formula as cipsoft said to us, in some way it works with exponential componentes. There are some levels that you can clearly observe that your character got a lot faster than before with just one level.

Can we have a research about this?

Top Offline

Post subject: Re: How about a research that explains the tibia speed?
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 00:33 
co-admin/head data gatherer
Name: Dans cruf
World: Astera
Vocation: Sorcerer

The speed formula was changed in a spring patch, not sure if you were aware of that.

Before that however, it was indeed linear. The "speed boosts" never existed. There were all sorts of theories such as "every level ending in 1" but nobody ever proved it. What people saw was an illusion of increased speed. What people don't realise is that the animation of a character moving from a tile to tile is not a live action. The very instant that the animation begins, the character is already on the tile. The animation seems quicker and it gives the appearance of being quicker than normal for the animation to take place, but the actual act of the piece of code that is your character moving from tile a to tile b was linear.

To demonstrate this, you can go underwater and move whilst paralysed by a quara hydromancer. The animation is extremely slow, but it is possible to turn your character and shoot off a beam in the direction that you turned your character to face, despite the fact your character is "still moving". Very skilled players (with wave attacks) can do this on the surface too.

For a less complicated truth, the flash client revealed the exact speed of characters via the skills window. It was always the same boost per level.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 03:11 

I know that they changed the speed formula and im not talking about animation of the speed. There are levels that you char got faster than the normal speed bonus. Just test a level 70 mage and then level up and test it again. You should see that the difference between these two levels are bigger than normal

Top Offline

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 08:47 

It only appears to be faster.

My long explanation didn't do it for you, so we can go with the flash client one. Check your speed from level 69-70-71 and see the gain each time.

Latency and ground type also need to be factored. A cipsoft employee directly confirmed to me when asked that there are no speed boosts.

If somebody on our team wishes to do research on an article, they may do so.

You are also welcome to do research and post it here for us to look at :)

Top Offline

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 19:13 

It can be just an impression that i have while playing but i trust that whenever your character get a level that your speed number ends in 60, you got a lot faster than the normal levels. Each 50 levels give you 100 speed, so if it have a speed boost at level 71, you will have another at level 121 and then at level 171 an so on...

Maybe the speed is not intended to work the way its working and im right with this theory. Or i'm just a stubborn guy trusting in some random bullshit. But at the end of the day, i just think that there are levels that arent linear and works in a exponential way even if the number of speed only show a difference of 2 numbers.

And what about "bugging" the map with right clicks?

Top Offline

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 20:56 

Never heard of bugging the map with right clicks, do you mean clicking on the map to make your character auto walk and as a result move at a maximum speed?

To the topic, I'm not claiming you are wrong, just giving my own opinion. But we have had cipsoft employees post publically that there is no speed boost, we have had people who are absolute experts at modifying the client (specifically talking about the creator of tibiacast who I am a close friend with) confirm there is no speed boost (he is the guy who gave me the animation explanation) and we have the flash client which shows us the exact numbers of a gain per level up.

I don't really imagine that going from 1036 speed (1) to 1038 (2) speed to (3) 1040 speed making you have a higher speed at 3 than you did at 2 when compared to 1. (hope that makes sense).

Top Offline

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 23:28 

I said the big difference would be with 60 in the end. So it should be 1056 (1), 1058 (2) and finally 1060, thats when you get your boost.

I would like to know some floor modifiers of speed. Do you know where i can find this?

And by "bugging" the map i mean right clicking constantly in a sqm away from you, so the character is going to move a lot faster than if you only give one click in the mini map.

Top Offline

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013, 14:35 
head researcher
Name: Gorak
World: Refugia

I believe the modifiers for speed are in the map file. The first 65536 values (if you look at it with a hex editor) determine the mini map colour and from 65536-131072 determine floor speed/whether it is passable (but it was a while ago I looked at this). Values after this are any icons you have added to your map.

Top Offline